Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Making a Start in life!

Having participated in the business and enterprise lecture I was left feeling that i had a lot of questions to ask myself about where i am planning to 'go' in the future and what i want out of my education. Having already established that I am a art director within my field of advertising, well, trying to become one anyway, the lecture made me have a think about how my job would be valued in the creative working world. I recognise now that my talent is needed to produce inviting, informative and original adverts to my clients desired audience not to mention being effective within the task of boosting product sales for them! Enable to do this I am learning and adopting new skills in order to better become a successful art director such as;


• Judgment and Decision Making – becoming better able to make rational, logical and creative decisions quickly.

• Talking to others to convey information effectively.

• Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.

• Managing my own time and the time of others – designers doing work for my ads? Copywriter? Staff?

• The ability to come up with unusual or clever ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem.

• The ability to come up with numerous ideas about a topic and decide which ones could become polished adverts for my clients campaign.

• Developing, designing, or creating new ideas, relationships, systems, or products, to make products services and events even more ‘sellable’ and ultimately ‘buyable’.

All of these skill would be valued greatly within a prospective ad agency as it would show what a great all rounder I could be and therefore promote productivity and positivity when being hired by a client, Also simply having the ability to get the job done.

Thinking about myself and my future job or business in relation to the 4 P’s I feel that as a product I would supply people with a creative, confident minded, organized art director with the eagerness to complete tasks set originally and most importantly in the best interest of my client. I would create campaigns that best represent there desired message to the consumer. Clients would need my services to better boost their sales or return and with my promised delivery of originality and productivity I believe they would be very satisfied! (if I do say so myself! )

Ideally I would like to be salaried as an in house designer or director, in a local (Manchester agency) so I would have a more stable income and be close to home. I would obviously be competing with other job seekers but I feel once I have proved myself and I have obtained a job in an agency half of my competitive battle will be won, so long as I continue to produce the goods. In regards to price, I would research competitive salary rates on the hope that my salary could be negotiated, otherwise I wouldn’t pick a job as a resident in an agency that thought I would be being underpaid in.


Overall I felt that this lecture posed many questions for me to think about my plans and I look towards setting some achievable goals. I look forward to learning more about creating my own business.

No comments:

Post a Comment