Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Finding a job! -PEST & Segmentational analysis

Being an aspiring art director in the adverting world poses difficult obstacles when finding a job. After the last lecture I established that I only want to work as an in-house designer in an agency, but with this comes the problem of actually obtaining a permanent job at one!

Firstly I have to sell myself (my ‘product’ / services) to the ad agency bosses before I can even start work with the real business clients. Advertising agency’s look to employ by posting adverts for jobs on websites, papers, and advertising forums; often they go to recruitment agencies and they find suitable candidates for them. My potential clients would then obviously go to my agency bosses (assuming I was employed!) and then they would brief me for the client.

In order to best communicate my skill to my potential employers I need tp be creative in my approach in order to catch their attention and make them remember me, while all the time remaining professional.

In relation to pest and my plight in finding steady employment,

P – political factors ; government laws have few restrictions on how adverting is governed In relation to art direction, but I should take caution and be sensible to avoid offending anyone’s political agendas or culturally offend in order to appeal to a wider audience for my clients!

E – economical factors; With the current economical climate and people losing jobs left right and center I can only hope the recession will have subsided by the time I become a active job seeker! If not I will either have to compromise and lower my expectations. As an industry though I don’t really see adverting going anywhere anytime soon so in that sense it is a more reliable industry to be aiming to work in. one of the economical factors that could effect me is the money people may be putting into advertising these days may be drastically slashed in order to save money, this poses the question of ‘would they be able to afford to employ me?’.

S- social and cultural factors; having less money now due to the economical state effects social and cultural factors greatly. With people having less money this means they have less to spend on everyday things let alone pleasures! Obviously this will effect adverting agencies as clients profits and turn over’s will be significantly lower making it more difficult for them to afford advertising.

T- technological factors; technology is vital for competitive advantage, and is a major driver of globalisation in relation to advertising and dominating the market place. Technology offers companies a new way to communicate with consumers, which is vital in adverting in order to stay current and lead rather than follow. Also it allows for products and services to be made more cheaply and to a better standard of quality, obviously better appealing customers and clients alike.


Segmentation analysis

My key demographic would solely depend upon the product , service or event my client is asking me to advertise. Once I discovered the product I would take ito account; Age, Sex, Height, Dress size, Health, Agility,

Ethnicity, Social Grade, Occupation and Income level, current buying trends and responces.

Geographical factors that I am to concider will again depend on the product again. Although being a Art Director I could choose to conduct a shoot abroad, but this could be costly to the client, obviously i would have to way up the benefits of shooting abroad and whether it was really necessary. Like I said before I would ideally like to work locally in my home town of manchester. This would make it very cheap to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment